When you're bored, what will you do first?
当你感到无聊时,你会先做什么?
If you're like many, the answer is quite simple: You reach for your phone.
如果你和许多人一样,答案很简单:你会拿起手机。
Five minutes of short videos or funny pictures seem like a pleasant break.
五分钟的短视频或有趣的图片似乎是一个愉快的休息。
If that sounds familiar, a new study has bad news.
如果这听起来很熟悉,那么一项新的研究带来了坏消息。
Reaching for your phone is likely to leave you feeling more bored.
拿起手机可能会让你感到更无聊。
The problem isn't taking a break.
问题不在于休息。
The problem is your phone.
问题在于你的手机。
A research shows using phones can't help people relax from their heavy work.
研究表明,使用手机不能帮助人们从繁重的工作中放松。
To figure out the relation between phones and boredom, the research team installed an app on the phones of 83 volunteers to find out how often they used their phones.
为了弄清楚手机与无聊之间的关系,研究小组在83名志愿者的手机上安装了一个应用程序,以了解他们使用手机的频率。
They also asked these volunteers to keep diaries for three days, recording their level of boredom every hour.
他们还要求这些志愿者记录三天的日记,每小时记录一次自己的无聊程度。
“Phone breaks were frequent(频繁的): In the 20 minutes following each questionnaire, the volunteers picked up their phones 52 percent of the time.
“手机休息频繁:在每份问卷后的20分钟内,志愿者们52%的时间会拿起手机。
They spent an average of around 90 seconds on it each time,” reports the research team.
他们每次平均花费大约90秒钟。” 研究团队报告道。
“The more tired we are, the more likely we are to reach for our phones.
“我们越累,就越可能拿起手机。
While we look to our phones to relieve(减轻)boredom, screen time seemed to increase feelings of boredom.
虽然我们试图通过手机来减轻无聊,但屏幕时间似乎增加了无聊的感觉。
The volunteers actually reported higher levels of boredom after having used their smartphones.”
志愿者们实际上报告称,在使用智能手机之后,他们的无聊感更强烈。”
The research team pointed out that phone breaks may end up being more tiring than stimulating.
研究团队指出,手机休息可能最终比刺激更让人感到疲惫。
In other words, watching the funny videos is very nice, but it's not worth the cost to your brain in effort and concentration.
换句话说,看有趣的视频确实很好,但它并不值得你为此付出努力和注意力上的代价。
In addition, picking up your phone might remind you that you have a better choice to do something else if you don't have to finish the tasks immediately.
此外,拿起手机可能会提醒你,如果不需要立刻完成任务,你有更好的选择去做其他事情。
Both your time and effort are easily wasted.
你的时间和精力很容易被浪费掉。
What should we do instead?
那我们应该做什么呢?
Taking a walk is good exercise.
散步是很好的运动。
Calling someone can make your mood cheerful.
给别人打电话可以让你的心情变得愉快。
Reading a book gives your brain a fresh start.
读书能给大脑一个新的开始。
You can do many things like that.
你可以做很多类似的事情。
Just remember, don't reach for your phone!
只要记住,不要拿起你的手机!
==
逐句翻译,不需要序号,先英文然后中文相间
When you're bored, what will you do first? If you're like many, the answer is quite simple: You reach for your phone. Five minutes of short videos or funny pictures seem like a pleasant break.
If that sounds familiar, a new study has bad news. Reaching for your phone is likely to leave you feeling more bored. The problem isn't taking a break. The problem is your phone. A research shows using phones can't help people relax from their heavy work.
To figure out the relation between phones and boredom, the research team installed(安装)an app on the phones of 83 volunteers to find out how often they used their phones. They also asked these volunteers to keep diaries for three days, recording their level of boredom every hour “ Phone breaks were frequent(频繁的): In the 20 minutes following each questionnaire, the volunteers picked up their phones 52 percent of the time. They spent an average of around 90 seconds on it each time,” reports the research team. “The more tired we are, the most likely we are to reach for our phones. While we look to our phones to relieve(减轻)boredom, screen time seemed to increase feelings of boredom. The volunteers actually reported higher levels of boredom after having used their smartphones.”
The research team pointed out that phone breaks may end up being more tiring than stimulating. In other words, watching the funny videos is very nice, but it's now worth the cost to your brain in effort and concentration. In addition, picking up your phone might remind you that you have a better choice to do something else if you don't have to finish the tasks immediately. Both your time and effort are easily wasted.
What should we do instead? Taking a walk is good exercise. Calling someone can make your mood cheerful. Reading a book gives your brain a fresh start. You can do many things like that. Just remember, don't reach for your phone!